Sunday, December 20, 2009

Why We Rescue


Hi, My name is Sidney and I am a flat coated retriever mix. I was a stray who was picked up and brought to Dekalb Animal Control Shelter. I stayed there for about two months and the people there thought thatI might never be adopted. Not only was I an older dog, but I just plain didn't know how to be a dog! People, cars, loud noises, sudden movements, all sent me into a terrified frenzy.
The shelter sent out an e-mail to rescue groups asking them to rescue me from a sad, lonely, old age. The good folks at Adopt a Golden took pity on me and decided to take me in. They discovered I had heartworms and needed someone to foster me while I was treated. That was when my luck turned. An older couple whose children were grown were looking for a dog just like me. They already had two small older rescue dogs and I went to stay with them.
I was really scared at first but those two little spoiled rotten dogs seemed to be pretty happy and I got to sleep on a great fluffy bed right beside my new mom and dads' bed. Well, it's been six months and I am heartworm free, and hike everyday in the woods with my new mom and one of my siblings. Who knew there were so many critters to chase!
If I get really dirty, I have a long hot shower with lots of sweet smelling shampoo, and oh, those massages my mom gives me! I like to go sit by the shower door hoping she'll think I'm dirty and give me a shower. We all went to Charleston SC for Thanksgiving, and I got to stay in a really neat hotel and run onthe beach.
Life is good!

No comments: