Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thanks for the love, Johnny Cash


I am very, very sad to report that Johnny Cash has crossed the rainbow bridge. The decision was made with a very heavy heart. Johnny developed very painful arthritis, went deaf, went partially blind, and was often very confused.

He was the best thing that could ever happen to Payton and me. He made us laugh a million times, was there for a million snuggles, and life just seems empty without him. I can't log onto my computer without thinking of all the laptop power cords he tried to chew through. I can't walk into my closet without looking at my pair of old boots that he proudly would carry around the house and gnaw on. His tail could knock a table clear over. He was our permanent vacuum during supper. He was the watch dog on all nights, except those terrible thunderstorm nights. He kept us safe and made us smile. We are better people because of him.

Towards the end our daily walks got shorter and slower. Car rides weren't near as much fun as they had been for him. On our last walk yesterday, we walked very slowly and I talked to him about what a life saver he was to me. When we got to the vet, Johnny climbed into my lap, laid his head down, and slowly started to breathe shallow breaths. He was telling me "Mom, I am ready". He was ready to go chase the tennis balls my husband will throw in Heaven to him.

Thank you for bringing Johnny Cash into our lives. We are better people because of him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This put tears to my eyes:'(
I love goldens<3